Inclusion should be intentional in every area of church life. Distribute copies of this event check sheet to all groups involved in church wide or small group planning with the explanation that it should be used at every meeting.
Why use this intentional planning check sheet? Because our church seeks to
- Recognize and use the gifts of persons with disabilities.
- Incorporate persons with disabilities into the life of the church.
- Become informed on how to enable persons with special needs to fully participate, and work with them to make it happen.
An Event Check Sheet To Keep in Hand When You Plan
1. Does my design team include a person or persons with disabilities? Yes_____ No_____
If no, invite someone.
2. Names of persons with impairments who are candidates for this committee or group:
3. Before planning, do I need printed or human resources to give me suggestions about accessibility and inclusion? Yes_____ No______
If yes, here are the names of persons who can provide
4. How can publicity for my activity reflect thoughtfulness regarding special needs such as special diets or porta-potty or ramps or sign language or guides for persons who are blind?
5. If my activity is away from the church, have I personally investigated the accessibility of the site? Yes _____ No ______
Accessibility includes parking, ramps, restrooms, and sound system adaptable for persons with hearing impairments and access to a place of worship if appropriate. Assume nothing.
6. Would members of my special planning area benefit from speech reading classes or training as guides or mentors?
If yes, investigate church or community opportunities. If none are available, request help to provide training.